Learning a Few Skills will Save Money

There are only a few skills you need to live well on little.  
  • How to use a hammer.
  • How to paint
  • How to use a screwdriver
  • How to sew
 These four things will save you the most money, along with keeping an open mind. When you are comfortable using a few simple tools you will be ready to Google how-to sites to learn how to repair most things in your home.  

Currently my sewing machine has gotten a lot of use. 
  • I created a large pair of curtains from a drop cloth.
  • I took apart a woman's house dress (second hand) to create a purse and a child's sun dress.
  • Using fabric scraps from various items I hemmed and created a large collection of cloth napkins for my family.
  • Using an old blanket as batting I was able to create a cozy quilt.

Don't be afraid to look at items you aren't using for inspiration.
  • Ice cube trays can be used to store sewing bobbins.
  • The top of an egg carton will fit nicely in a drawer to keep utensils, tools, or other small items organized.
  • A shoe box with a lid becomes a great storage box for frequently used toiletries.
  • Even food containers such as food cans can become organizational pieces.  I store children's crayons and markers in empty cans covered with a bit of fabric to dress them up.
  • Starting seeds for your garden? Use newspapers or toilet rolls tubes as pots. You can plant these containers directly into the garden where they will decompose leaving zero waste.
 Do you repurpose items around your home to save money? 

Check out my Pinterest boards for more upcycling and re-purposing ideas.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the idea of upcycling products in my own home and turning them into new items. Not only does it save money, but it really does help the environment instead of throwing away items that could be used again. I try to upcycle as much as possible. Great post and I love the link to your Pinterest!

Lois said...

I love meeting other upcyclers, welcome! Repurposing things we already have does save us a lot of money over the years, but like you it's the environmental savings that makes it really worth it for me.

Glad you enjoyed the Pinterest boards. I hope you found a new idea or two there.

Post a Comment

 
Download this Blogger Template From Coolbthemes.com