Natural cleaning supplies

After several years of living an environmentally aware life I learned it doesn't have to be expensive to live green.  Quite the contrary, living conscious of our footprint is very inexpensive if we want it to be, just like any other lifestyle.  Another complaint I hear is that it is time consuming to learn to navigate through the products that are now calling themselves green, natural or some other label to get us to buy their products.

To this I would like to say, it's very simple.  Just don't buy anything right away.  Here are some easy steps to help you begin a new greener life.

Which areas are most important to you to change?
  1. Are you seeking to clean up your diet, avoid GMO and/or pesticide laden products?
  2. Do you want to eliminate the numerous cleaning products which have questionable ingredients?
  3. What is your motivation?  Is your choice due to a health issue, financial concerns, or something else?
With your answers you will know exactly where to start. The easiest is in your cleaning products.  When I made my decision to reduce the chemicals in my home this is where I began.  At first I thought I would simply use up the products I already owned, but soon I realized this wasn't working for me.  I boxed them all up and took them to a friend I knew had no interest in changing her conditioned cleaning methods.

This may sound expensive, but it was the complete opposite.  I bought a large bottle of white vinegar and the largest box of baking soda I could find.  These two items set me back approximately $5. and covered all my cleaning costs, with the exception of laundry and dishes, which I will talk about later in another post.

Baking soda can be used for the following cleaning jobs:

  1. to clean baked on food residue in an oven.
  2. Scrub tubs, sinks and even laminate counters
  3. freshen carpets
  4. brush teeth (I add a small amount of salt to my container of baking soda which is stored in the bathroom for this purpose)
  5. Combined with white vinegar will unclog drains and properly clean the toilet bowl
  6. A small jar left open filled with baking soda will eliminate odors in your home
  7. It can also be used in gardening, more on this another time
  8. Sprinkled on a mattress and vacuumed off will keep it fresh smelling

White vinegar has numerous uses as well:

  1. Cleans windows without leaving streaks
  2. sprayed around a room will eliminate odors
  3. Replaces products for cleaning bare floors
  4.  Works as a wonderful rinse for hair
These two items will clean most everything in your home, and cost you pennies per month to use.

As time went on I added a two other natural items to my cleaning supplies

  1. Salt: with lemon will keep your cutting boards fresh and odor free
  2.  Hydrogen Peroxide:  This one product will kill bacteria, spray on surfaces along with white vinegar to disinfect better than bleach; is perfect for removing organic stains on carpeting and clothing including blood; and while being careful not to swallow is better than mouthwash at removing germs in the mouth and preventing dental problems.

Tomorrow I will cover how to inexpensively change the way you shop for food and eat to live healthier.

What product have you found to be invaluable?

 
Download this Blogger Template From Coolbthemes.com