My Winter Skin Care

The cold temperatures have set in. We've seen a few days of snow, but what is the first sign that the warm days are over?  My skin becomes dry and flaky.

I experimented over the years with diet, the amount of water I drink to stay hydrated and probably every moisturizer on the market until a few years ago.  One morning as I was weighing which moisturizer would be best that particular day, yes I had several for the different seasons, I stopped to think about what I was doing.

I was applying a bunch of chemicals to my skin.  This isn't normal. We are born with everything we need. Our skin, like our internal organs, expects us to keep foreign materials away from it.  Our skin is our largest organ, the last line of defense in protecting our inner organs from being polluted and harmed.

With this in mind, why was I putting chemicals, those made in a lab, on my skin.  My skin deserved better if it was going to protect me. 

Like most other choices I made over the last couple of decades I turned to the kitchen.  What would be natural enough to not break down the skin yet add a bit of moisture to keep me from feeling like a lizard?  My first experiment was to use a fresh aloe leaf.  That first day I felt a tightening of my skin, a strange sensation, but within a few minutes I felt the softest skin ever. 

It didn't take long to see I would need to fill my home with aloe if I were to do this on any kind of regular basis.  It was time to look through the kitchen again. This time my eyes fell on a jar of organic coconut oil.   I thought about something I had been hearing frequently, to never put anything on my skin that I wouldn't eat.  Well, that sure eliminated all those jars of moisturizer because I would never consider putting even a drop from any of them in my mouth.  But coconut oil, I cook with it so of course I would eat it.

Since that day I have never gone back to using product from the health and beauty aisle in any store, including the "healthier" options.  My skin is soft, healthy and has a glow of youth I thought I would never see again.

So how much do  you need to moisturize say your face?  Approximately the size of a pea. Yep, that's all it takes to condition my face and neck.  Since I use it on my hands, feet, and ankles as well and on my legs after shaving, I find that using a teaspoon and scooping out enough to coat less than half the surface is enough to moisturize all those areas that are affected by the dryness in the air.

While purchasing organic coconut oil can cost you as much as $10 a bottle most don't consider this to be an inexpensive option, but when you realize just how long that one jar will last it costs less than a penny per week for naturally, healthy skin. 

Give it a try and let me know what you think

 
Download this Blogger Template From Coolbthemes.com